*

A little insurance.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I'm an obsessive backer-upper when it comes to my files. Not every day, which is bad on my part, but redundantly. Two external drives for large quantities of data, plus two thumb drives specifically for works in progress, which fit in holders that go on my keyring and leave the house when I do. I also have CD back-ups in our safety deposit box.

I have been looking into online storage options, and then yesterday on one of the professional lists I'm on, one of the members recommended a place they've been using for a couple of years now. No frills, and admittedly they need a proofreader on their website, but $15 a year. So I'm giving them a try and last night uploaded my writing folder to the server for off-site safekeeping. Since it's web-based, I can access it from anywhere.

I'm one of those paranoid people who thinks if I get the insurance (back-ups), I probably won't need it. *LOL* And it's only $15 a year. If you're interested, the place is: http://www.onlinestoragesolution.com/

Now, here's the catch. If you're not computer savy and need someone to hold your hand, you might get frustrated. When you log into your account (I paid with PayPal and after completion was taken to the set-up page) there are files there that are movies and .pdfs so you can find out how to set up your account. You can access via browser, ftp like Filezilla, or something like NetDrive (which is what I'm using) so it's like a connected external drive.

If I find any issues with it, I'll pass them along, but so far, I'm liking it.

(FTC asshat blog disclaimer, I paid for my own service and am not being reimbursed for this review.)

3 reader comments:

  1. Metanoia said...:

    Do you have any idea how to get back to this software page? I downloaded netdrive and used it fine -- now I've upgraded to 64bit and I cannot find the page that gives me directions on how to connect to onlinestoragesolution.com.
    HELP!

    Thanks

  1. I actually started using the FTP feature, and I know on Filezilla it's olsworks.net and then my username and password. Or you can point your browser to olsworks.net/username/ (your username) and it should ask for login info.

    HTH.

  1. OH, and if you go to https://olsworks.com/username/ it gives you the better access screen.